Add some sunshine to your day with this cute sun keychain crochet pattern. A quick happy little project that’s sure to make you smile.
I’ve even put together a FREE printable to go with it. Just print and cut – super easy and super fun, perfect for any occasion.
The printable fits 10 cards on a standard A4 sized page and even has handy grid lines so you know exactly where to cut. Leave as is or add a little note to the back and you have a sweet little card to brighten someone’s day – the perfect companion to this pattern.
Get the free printable card
Sun Keychain Crochet Pattern
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer policy for more info.
- DK weight yarn in yellow, orange and pink (I used Paintbox Yarns Cotton DK in Buttercup Yellow, Mandarin Orange and Bubblegum Pink)
- 2.5mm crochet hook
- 8mm safety eyes
- Polyester Fiberfill
- Black embroidery floss
- Stitch marker, yarn needle, scissors
Abbreviations (US Terms)
- ch – chain
- sc – single crochet
- inc – increase
- st/s – stitch/es
- (…) – indicates stitch count at end of round
- […] – repeat the instructions in brackets
Double crochet 4 together (dc4tog): [Yarn over, insert hook in stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through 2 loops] x4, yarn over and draw through all 5 loops on hook.
- The finished item measures approximately 2.5″ x 2.5″ (6.5cm x 6.5cm) when using the materials listed.
- Pieces are worked in a continuous spiral starting with a magic ring unless otherwise specified. Mark the first stitch of each round with a removable stitch marker.
- Gauge is not important in this pattern. Use a hook size to match your chosen yarn. Make sure that your stitches are tight enough to prevent stuffing showing through and adjust hook size if necessary.
LET’S GET STARTED!
Sun (make 2, yellow)
R1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)
R2: [Inc] x6 (12)
R3: [Sc, inc] x6 (18)
R4: Sc, inc, [2 sc, inc] x5, sc (24)
R5: [3 sc, inc] x6 (30)
R6: 2 sc, inc, [4 sc, inc] x5, 2 sc (36)
R7: [5 sc, inc] x6 (42)
Fasten off invisibly and weave in ends on both pieces.
Cheeks (make 2, pink)
R1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)
Fasten off invisibly leaving a long tail for sewing.
- Taking one of the yellow pieces, insert the safety eyes between R3 and R4, making sure that they are in line with each other on either side of the magic ring. Trim stems off the back of the eyes.
- Sew the cheeks below the eyes over R5 and R6.
- Use a small amount of black embroidery floss to sew a little mouth.
Place the two yellow pieces wrong sides together with the face details facing up.
Join orange yarn in any st. Ch 1, sc in same st. [Ch 3, dc4tog in third chain from hook, sc in next 3 sts] x 13, ch 3, dc4tog in third chain from hook, sc in last 2 sts (14 dc4tog + 42 sc)
Start stuffing when you’re 3/4 of the way around. Continue to add small bits of stuffing as you go but avoid over stuffing.
Fasten off invisibly in the first sc of the round, weave in ends.
Using a long piece of yellow yarn, sew the keychain to the top just behind the rays.
PIN for later
I love seeing your creations! Feel free to send me a photo or tag me on Instagram @stitchbyfay and use the hashtag #stitchbyfaypatterns.
This pattern is for personal use only and may not be copied, reproduced, altered, published or distributed in any way. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You can sell finished products made from this pattern by crediting Stitch by Fay as the pattern designer and providing a link back to this post.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase from these links, I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you – thanks for your support!