Day 6 of the 12 Days of Crochet Christmas is an adorable penguin ornament crochet pattern.
I love penguins and this little guy is all dressed up and ready for Christmas with his sweet bow tie. He’ll make a lovely addition to your ornament collection.
This penguin ornament crochet pattern is quick and easy so don’t be intimidated by the colour changes. Make sure to read the notes section to see how the pattern is written and when to change colours.
Penguin Ornament Crochet Pattern
- DK weight yarn in black (b), white (w), red and a small amount of yellow (I used Paintbox Yarns Cotton DK in Pure Black, Paper White, Pillar Red and Mustard Yellow)
- 2.5mm crochet hook
- 8mm safety eyes
- Polyester fibrefill
- Yarn/twine for hanging
- Stitch marker, yarn needle, scissors
Abbreviations (US Terms)
- ch – chain
- sc – single crochet
- inc – increase
- invdec – invisible decrease
- hdc – half double crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st/s – stitch/es
- […] – repeat the instructions in brackets
- (…) – indicates stitch count at end of round
The finished penguin ornament measures approximately 2″ x 2″ (5.5cm x 5.5cm) when using the materials listed.
Gauge is not important in this pattern. Use a hook size to match your chosen yarn. Make sure that your stitches are tight enough to prevent stuffing showing through and adjust hook size if necessary.
- Pieces are worked in a continuous spiral starting with a magic ring unless otherwise specified. Mark the first stitch of each round with a removable stitch marker.
- R8-17 are written as: # of single crochet stitches (colour abbreviation), example: 16 sc (b) means 16 sc in the colour black.
- All colour changes take place in the last yarn over of the previous colour. I floated my colours through the smaller sections and cut and tied the rest but do what you’re most comfortable with.
LET’S GET STARTED!
Penguin (starting with black)
R1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)
R2: [Inc] x6 (12)
R3: [Sc, inc] x6 (18)
R4: Sc, inc, [2 sc, inc] x5, sc (24)
R5: [3 sc, inc] x6 (30)
R6: 2 sc, inc, [4 sc, inc] x5, 2 sc (36)
R7: [5 sc, inc] x6 (42)
R8: 16 sc (b), 3 sc (w), 4 sc (b), 3 sc (w), 16 sc (b) (42)
R9: 15 sc (b), 4 sc (w), 4 sc (b), 4 sc (w), 15 sc (b) (42)
R10: 14 sc (b), 6 sc (w), 2 sc (b), 6 sc (w), 14 sc (b) (42)
R11: 13 sc (b), 7 sc (w), 2 sc (b), 7 sc (w), 13 sc (b) (42)
R12-15: 13 sc (b), 16 sc (w), 13 sc (b) (42) 4 rounds
Insert safety eyes between R10 and R11. Place them in the centre of each white section, approximately 7 sts apart.
R16: [5 sc, invdec] x2 (b), [5 sc, invdec] x2, sc (w), 4 sc, invdec, 5 sc, invdec (b) (36)
R17: 2 sc, invdec, 4 sc, invdec, 3 sc (b), sc, invdec, 4 sc, invdec, 3 sc (w), sc, invdec, 4 sc, invdec, 2 sc (b) (30)
Fasten off white. The following rounds are worked with black only.
R18: [3 sc, invdec] x6 (24)
Start stuffing and continue to stuff as you go.
R19: Sc, invdec, [2 sc, invdec] x5, sc (18)
R20: [Sc, invdec] x6 (12)
R21: [Invdec] x6 (6)
Cut the yarn leaving a tail and pull through last st. Weave the yarn tail through the front loops only of the final round and pull to close. Hide the end inside the penguin.
Using yellow yarn, sew the beak between R11 and R12 spanning over the 2 black sts. Go over it 3-4 times or until you get your desired look.
Bow Tie (red)
R1: Ch 12, hdc in third ch from hook and in each ch across (10)
R2-3: Ch 1, turn. [Hdc] x10 (10) 2 rounds
Fasten off and weave in ends.
Pinch the bow together in the middle and taking a long piece of yarn, tie around the centre to secure. Wrap the yarn tails around the centre of the bow 5-6 times. Tie in a knot in the back.
Sew the bow to the penguin over R16 and R17. Weave in ends.
Attach a hanging loop to the top.
not ready to make this yet?
Pin this post for later
I love seeing your creations! Feel free to send me a photo or tag me on Instagram @stitchbyfay.
This pattern is for personal use only and may not be copied, reproduced, altered, published or distributed in any way. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site.
You can sell finished products made from this pattern in small quantities. Do NOT use our photos as your sale photos.