How cute is this little potato amigurumi crochet pattern?! (I never thought I’d say that about a potato haha).
To be honest, I’ve had a bit of the post holiday blues now that my son is back at school.
I’ve been lacking in motivation, inspiration and I haven’t really felt like crocheting at all. In fact I can totally relate to this little potato friend which is how this pattern came about.
This is a great beginner friendly pattern as it uses only one stitch and doesn’t require any sewing of parts. It also doesn’t matter if it comes out kinda lumpy and misshapen (trust me, we’ve all been there) because all potatoes are different.
I chose to use kawaii safety eyes for a bit of extra personality but feel free to use regular safety eyes if that’s what you’ve got. I also added a bit of extra stitching in brown yarn but that is completely optional.
Potato Amigurumi Crochet Pattern
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer policy for more info.
- DK weight yarn in beige and light brown (I used Paintbox Yarns Cotton DK in Vanilla Cream and Soft Fudge)
- 2.5mm crochet hook
- 8mm safety eyes
- Polyester fiberfill
- Black embroidery floss
- Stitch marker, yarn needle, scissors
- sc -single crochet
- inc – increase
- invdec – invisible decrease
- […] – repeat the instructions in brackets
- (…) – indicates stitch count at end of round
- The pattern is written using US terminology and measures approximately 2.5″ tall x 2″ wide (6.5cm x 5cm) when using the materials listed.
- Pieces are worked in a continuous spiral starting with a magic ring unless otherwise specified. Mark the first stitch of each round with a removable stitch marker.
- Gauge is not important in this pattern. Use a hook size to match your chosen yarn. Make sure that your stitches are tight enough to prevent stuffing showing through and adjust hook size if necessary.
LET’S GET STARTED!
R1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)
R2: [Inc] x6 (12)
R3: [Sc, inc] x6 (18)
R4: Sc, inc, [2 sc, inc] x5, sc (24)
R5: [3 sc, inc] x6 (30)
R6: 2 sc, inc, [4 sc, inc] x5, 2 sc (36)
R7-11: [Sc] x36 (36) 5 rounds
R12: [5 sc, inc] x6 (42)
R13-14: [Sc] x42 (42) 2 rounds
R15: 3 sc, inc, [6 sc, inc] x5, 3 sc (48)
R16-20: [Sc] x48 (48) 5 rounds
R21: 3 sc, invdec, [6 sc, invdec] x5, 3 sc (42)
R22: [5 sc, invdec] x6 (36)
Insert safety eyes between R10 and R11, 5 sts apart.
R23: 2 sc, invdec, [4 sc, invdec] x5, 2 sc (30)
R24: [3 sc, invdec] x6 (24)
Start stuffing and continue to stuff as you go.
R25: Sc, invdec, [2 sc, invdec] x5, sc (18)
R26: [Sc, invdec] x6 (12)
R27: [Invdec] x6 (6)
Cut the yarn leaving a tail and pull through last st. Weave the yarn tail through the front loop only of the final round and pull to close. Hide the end inside the body.
Using a single strand of black embroidery floss, sew a little ‘v’ for the mouth, between the eyes over R12.
Optional: Using light brown yarn, randomly sew over single stitches. I went over each stitch twice.
PIN for later
I love seeing your creations! Feel free to send me a photo or tag me on Instagram @stitchbyfay and use the hashtag #stitchbyfaypatterns.
This pattern is for personal use only and may not be copied, reproduced, altered, published or distributed in any way. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You can sell finished products made from this pattern by crediting Stitch by Fay as the pattern designer and providing a link back to this post.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase from these links, I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you – thanks for your support!