Day 9 of the 12 Days of Crochet Christmas is a little elf ornament crochet pattern. I wanted to do a different shape for this one and I love how it turned out.
The pattern is crocheted all in one piece from the top down. I kept the details very minimal and the addition of the little bell finishes him off nicely. I can see this guy in a whole range of colours. What colour will you make?
(Contains Affiliate Links)
- DK Weight Yarn in green, skin colour, black and a small amount of yellow (I used Paintbox Yarns Cotton DK in Slate Green, Light Caramel, Pure Black and Mustard Yellow)
- 2.5mm crochet hook
- Polyester fibrefill
- Black embroidery floss
- Optional: 1cm gold bell
- Yarn/twine for hanging
- Stitch marker, yarn needle, scissors
- sc – single crochet
- inc – increase
- dec – decrease
- invdec – invisible decrease
- st/s – stitch/es
- […] – repeat the instructions in brackets
- (…) – indicates stitch count at end of round
The pattern is written using US terminology and measures approximately 3″ (7.5cm) tall not including the bell, when using the materials listed.
Pieces are worked in a continuous spiral starting with a magic ring unless otherwise specified. Mark the first stitch of each round with a removable stitch marker.
Gauge is not important in this pattern. Use a hook size to match your chosen yarn. Make sure that your stitches are tight enough to prevent stuffing showing through and adjust hook size if necessary.
ELF (starting with green)
R1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)
R2: [Sc] x6 (6)
R3: [Sc, inc] x3 (9)
R4: [Sc] x9 (9)
R5: Sc, inc, [2 sc, inc] x2, sc (12)
R6: [Sc] x12 (12)
R7: [3 sc, inc] x3 (15)
R8: [Sc] x15 (15)
R9: 2 sc, inc, [4 sc, inc] x2, 2 sc (18)
R10: [Sc] x18 (18)
R11: [5 sc, inc] x3 (21)
R12: [Sc] x21 (21)
R13: 3 sc, inc, [6 sc, inc] x2, 3 sc (24)
R14: [Sc] x24 (24) – change to skin colour in last st
R15: BLO [sc] x24 (24)
R16-18: [Sc] x 24 (24) – change to green in last st of R18
R19-20: [Sc] x24 (24) – change to black in last st of R20
R21: [Sc] x24 (24) – change to green in last st
R22: [Sc] x24 (24)
R23: BLO sc, dec, [2 sc, dec] x5, sc (18)
Start stuffing and continue to stuff as you go.
R24: [Sc, invdec] x6 (12)
R25: [Invdec] x6 (6)
Fasten off and weave in end.
- Using a single strand of embroidery floss, sew eyes over a single st on R17 approximately 2 sts apart. Sew over the eyes until you have your desired look.
- Using some yellow yarn, sew the belt buckle over R21, 2 sts long x 1st wide. Try and centre it with the eyes.
- Optional: Sew bell to the top of the hat.
- Attach a hanging loop.
PIN IT FOR LATER!
Interested in the pattern and want to save it for later? Simply click the image below.
I love seeing your creations! Feel free to send me a photo or tag me on Instagram @stitchbyfay and use the hashtag #stitchbyfaypatterns.
This pattern is for personal use only and may not be copied, reproduced, altered, published or distributed in any way. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You can sell finished products made from this pattern by crediting Stitch by Fay as the pattern designer and providing a link back to this post.