Day 9 of the 12 Days of Crochet Christmas is a little elf ornament crochet pattern. I wanted to do a different shape for this one and I love how it turned out.
About the Pattern
This elf ornament crochet pattern uses simple stitches and doesn’t require any sewing of parts making it a great beginner friendly pattern.
The elf is crocheted all in one piece from the top down with little details being added at the end. The addition of the little bell finishes him off nicely.
This little elf would look lovely in any colour – what colour will you make?
Elf Ornament Crochet Pattern
- DK weight yarn in green, skin colour, black and a small amount of yellow (I used Paintbox Yarns Cotton DK in Slate Green, Light Caramel, Pure Black and Mustard Yellow)
- 2.5mm crochet hook
- Polyester fibrefill
- Black embroidery floss
- Optional: 1cm gold bell
- Yarn/twine for hanging
- Stitch marker, yarn needle, scissors
Abbreviations (US Terms)
- sc – single crochet
- inc – increase
- dec – decrease
- invdec – invisible decrease
- st/s – stitch/es
- […] – repeat the instructions in brackets
- (…) – indicates stitch count at end of round
The finished elf measures approximately 3″ (7.5cm) tall not including the bell. Size may vary depending on tension and materials used.
Gauge is not important in this pattern. Use a hook size to match your chosen yarn. Make sure that your stitches are tight enough to prevent stuffing showing through and adjust hook size if necessary.
- Pieces are worked in a continuous spiral starting with a magic ring unless otherwise specified. Mark the first stitch of each round with a removable stitch marker.
LET’S GET STARTED!
Elf (starting with green)
R1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)
R2: [Sc] x6 (6)
R3: [Sc, inc] x3 (9)
R4: [Sc] x9 (9)
R5: Sc, inc, [2 sc, inc] x2, sc (12)
R6: [Sc] x12 (12)
R7: [3 sc, inc] x3 (15)
R8: [Sc] x15 (15)
R9: 2 sc, inc, [4 sc, inc] x2, 2 sc (18)
R10: [Sc] x18 (18)
R11: [5 sc, inc] x3 (21)
R12: [Sc] x21 (21)
R13: 3 sc, inc, [6 sc, inc] x2, 3 sc (24)
R14: [Sc] x24 (24) – change to skin colour in last st
R15: BLO [sc] x24 (24)
R16-18: [Sc] x 24 (24) 3 rounds – change to green in last st of R18
R19-20: [Sc] x24 (24) 2 rounds – change to black in last st of R20
R21: [Sc] x24 (24) – change to green in last st
R22: [Sc] x24 (24)
R23: BLO sc, dec, [2 sc, dec] x5, sc (18)
Start stuffing and continue to stuff as you go.
R24: [Sc, invdec] x6 (12)
R25: [Invdec] x6 (6)
Cut the yarn leaving a tail and pull through last st. Weave the yarn tail through the front loops only of the final round and pull to close. Hide the end inside the elf.
- Using a single strand of embroidery floss, sew eyes over a single st on R17 approximately 2 sts apart. Sew over the eyes until you have your desired look.
- Using some yellow yarn, sew the belt buckle over R21, 2 sts long x 1st wide. Try and centre it with the eyes.
- Optional: Sew bell to the top of the hat.
- Attach a hanging loop.
not ready to make this yet?
Pin this post for later
I love seeing your creations! Feel free to send me a photo or tag me on Instagram @stitchbyfay.
This pattern is for personal use only and may not be copied, reproduced, altered, published or distributed in any way. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site.
You can sell finished products made from this pattern in small quantities. Do NOT use our photos as your sale photos.