Day 12 of the 12 Days of Crochet Christmas is Santa himself! You know I had to include a Santa ornament crochet pattern especially since we already have Mrs Claus plus it wouldn’t be Christmas without him.
I left him til last as he does take a bit longer to make than the rest of the ornaments just because his hat takes a little bit of time but he’s totally worth it, promise.
I can’t believe that it’s the last day already. A huge thank you for all the love and support and for making this event such a success.
You can view the full ornament collection HERE.
Santa Ornament Crochet Pattern
- DK weight yarn in skin colour, red and white (I used Paintbox Yarns Cotton DK in Light Caramel, Pillar Red and Paper White)
- 2.5mm crochet hook
- 8mm safety eyes
- Polyester fiberfill
- Yarn/twine for hanging
- Stitch marker, yarn needle, scissors
Abbreviations (US Terms)
- ch – chain
- sc – single crochet
- inc – increase
- invdec – invisible decrease
- dc – double crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st/s – stitch/es
- […] – repeat the instructions in brackets
- (…) – indicates stitch count at end of round
The finished santa ornament measures approximately 2.5″ long x 3″ wide (6.5cm x 8cm). Size may vary depending on tension and materials used.
Gauge is not important in this pattern. Use a hook size to match your chosen yarn. Make sure that your stitches are tight enough to prevent stuffing showing through and adjust hook size if necessary.
- Pieces are worked in a continuous spiral starting with a magic ring unless otherwise specified. Mark the first stitch of each round with a removable stitch marker.
LET’S GET STARTED!
Head (starting with skin colour)
R1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)
R2: [Inc] x6 (12)
R3: [Sc, inc] x6 (18)
R4: Sc, inc, [2 sc, inc] x5, sc (24)
R5: [3 sc, inc] x6 (30)
R6: 2 sc, inc, [4 sc, inc] x5, 2 sc (36)
R7: [5 sc, inc] x6 (42)
R8-13: [Sc] x42 (42) 6 rounds – change to white in last st
R14-15: [Sc] x42 (42) 2 rounds
R16: [5 sc, invdec] x6 (36)
R17: 2 sc, invdec, [4 sc, invdec] x5, 2 sc (30)
Insert safety eyes between R11 and R12, 7 sts apart.
R18: [3 sc, invdec] x6 (24)
Start stuffing and continue to stuff as you go.
R19: Sc, invdec, [2 sc, invdec] x5, sc (18)
R20: [Sc, invdec] x6 (12)
R21: [Invdec] x6 (6)
Cut the yarn leaving a tail and pull through last st. Weave the yarn tail through the front loop only of the final round and pull to close. Hide the end inside the head.
Hat (starting with white)
R1: 5 sc in magic ring (5)
R2: [Inc] x5 (10)
R3: [Sc, inc] x5 (15)
R4-6: [Sc] x15 (15) 3 rounds
R7: [Sc, invdec] x5 (10)
R8: [Invdec] x5 (5) – change to red in last st
R9: [Sc] x 5 (5)
R10: [Inc] x5 (10)
R11-12: [Sc] x10 (10) 2 rounds
R13: [Sc, inc] x5 (15)
R14-15: [Sc] x15 (15) 2 rounds
R16: Sc, inc, [2 sc, inc] x4, sc (20)
R17-18: [Sc] x20 (20) 2 rounds
R19: [3 sc, inc] x5 (25)
R20-21: [Sc] x25 (25) 2 rounds
R22: 2 sc, inc, [4 sc, inc] x4, 2 sc (30)
R23-24: [Sc] x30 (30) 2 rounds
R25: [5 sc, inc] x5 (35)
R26-27: [Sc] x35 (35) 2 rounds
R28: 3 sc, inc, [6 sc, inc] x4, 3 sc (40)
R29-30: [Sc] x40 (40) 2 rounds
R31: [7 sc, inc] x5 (45)
R32: [Sc] x45 (45) – change to white in last st
R33: Sl st in first st, ch 2, dc in same st. [Dc] x44 (45)
Fasten off invisibly to first dc leaving a long tail for sewing.
Ear (skin colour)
R1: 5 sc in magic ring (5)
Fasten off leaving a long tail for sewing.
- Using skin colour yarn, sew a nose centred between the eyes between R12 and R13. Stitch over the nose until you get your desired look (approximately 5 times).
- Using white yarn, sew eyebrows at an angle above the eyes over R9. I stitched over them twice for a thicker look. (You can choose to only sew the right eyebrow if you want as the left one will be covered by the hat).
- Sew the ear to the right side of the head, inline with the eye and approximately 4 sts away. (It can be helpful to put the hat on the head to get a better idea of placement).
- Place the hat on the head at an angle and covering the left eyebrow (it should sit just above the ear and the eyebrow on the right hand side). Bend the top of the hat to the side away from the ear and using some red yarn, sew in place to hold the fold.
- Sew the hat to the head.
- Attach a hanging loop.
not ready to make this yet?
Pin this post for later
I love seeing your creations! Feel free to send me a photo or tag me on Instagram @stitchbyfay.
This pattern is for personal use only and may not be copied, reproduced, altered, published or distributed in any way. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site.
You can sell finished products made from this pattern in small quantities. Do NOT use our photos as your sale photos.