Love Bug Crochet Pattern + Printable Gift Tags
This little love bug is the perfect size for keychains, magnets or brooches and would make a sweet gift to show someone that you care. I’ve even included some free printable gift tags to make gifting easy.
The pattern works up quickly with some sewing required as well as a bit of embroidery to make the little hearts on the body. I recommend using a sharp needle for a neater finish.
I chose to use DK weight yarn as that’s mostly what I have on hand plus I wanted to keep the finished love bug pocket sized. However, feel free to experiment with different yarns and don’t forget to adjust your hook size accordingly. Please note that this will yield differences in size and the overall finished look.
You can purchase an INEXPENSIVE AD-FREE PDF on Etsy HERE and Ravelry HERE. The PDF includes detailed instructions and photos as well as easy print pages for more advanced crocheters or for a printed hard copy.
(Contains Affiliate Links)
- DK weight yarn in red and black (I used Paintbox Yarns Cotton DK in Pillar Red and Pure Black)
- 2.5mm crochet hook
- 4 ply yarn in black or black embroidery floss
- White embroidery floss
- Polyester fiberfill
- Stitch marker
- Yarn needle
- sc – single crochet
- inc – increase
- invdec – invisible decrease
- FLO – front loop only
- sl st – slip stitch
- st/s – stitch/es
- […] – repeat the instructions in brackets
- (…) – indicates stitch count at end of round
- 3inc – 3 single crochet in the same stitch
The pattern is written using US terminology and measures approximately 1.5″ wide x 1.75″ long (4cm x 4.5cm) when using the materials listed.
Pieces are worked in a continuous spiral starting with a magic ring unless otherwise specified. Mark the first stitch of each round with a removable stitch marker.
Gauge is not important in this pattern. Use a hook size to match your chosen yarn. Make sure that your stitches are tight enough to prevent stuffing showing through and adjust hook size if necessary.
MAKING THEM AS VALENTINE GIFTS?
If you’re making these for Valentine’s Day, you can grab my FREE printable gift tags to make gifting easy. The PDF includes both the coloured and white background versions. You could also print the white tags on coloured cardstock if you wanted a specific colour for your gift tags.
HOW TO USE:
- Download and save the PDF.
- Print page 1 or 2 on cardstock. Paper size is A4 and fit to page should be selected.
- Cut each tag out.
- Punch a hole through the circle at the top of the tag.
- String ribbon or twine through the hole and attach directly to your love bug or to the packaging.
PIN IT FOR LATER!
Interested in the pattern and want to save it for later? Simply click the image below.
LET’S GET STARTED!
BODY (starting with red)
R1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)
R2: [Inc] x6 (12)
R3: [Sc, inc] x6 (18)
R4: Sc, inc, [2 sc, inc] x5, sc (24)
R5: [3 sc, inc] x6 (30)
R6: 2 sc, inc, [4 sc, inc] x5, 2 sc (36)
R7-10: [Sc] x36 (36) 4 rounds – change to black in last st
R11: FLO sc, invdec, [2 sc, invdec] x8, sc (27)
R12: [Sc, invdec] x9 (18)
Start stuffing and continue to stuff as you go.
R13: [Invdec] x9 (9)
Cut the yarn leaving a tail and pull through last st. Weave the yarn tail through the front loop only of the final round and pull to close. Hide the end inside the body.
R1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)
R2: [3inc] x2, sc, [3inc] x2, sc (14)
R3: [Sc, inc] x2, 3 sc, [sc, inc] x2, 3 sc (18)
R4: [Sc] x18 (18)
Fasten off invisibly leaving a long tail for sewing.
- Using black 4 ply yarn or embroidery floss, sew a line going from back to front across the centre of the body.
- Sew the head to the body over R6 and R10 with the line on the body in the centre. Add some stuffing to the head when you’re 3/4 of the way around.
- Sew 3 hearts on each side of the centre line by layering stitches in a ‘V’ shape over a single stitch. Try to place the stitches side by side rather than on top of each other. I went over each line 4-5 times.
- Using a single strand of white embroidery floss doubled, sew eyes on either side of the head between R3 and R4, with 4 sts in between (use the centre line as a guide).
Your love bug is ready! I hope you enjoyed this pattern.
Find more quick and easy patterns here on the blog…
I love seeing your creations! Feel free to send me a photo or tag me on Instagram @stitchbyfay and use the hashtag #stitchbyfaypatterns.
This pattern is for personal use only and may not be copied, reproduced, altered, published or distributed in any way. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You can sell finished products made from this pattern by crediting Stitch by Fay as the pattern designer and providing a link back to this post.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase from these links, I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you – thanks for your support!