This Easter basket crochet pattern makes me smile – I mean look at that cute face! This is a fun basket for adding a personal touch to your Easter celebrations which can then be reused as extra storage.
The pattern is really simple and uses single crochet stitches with a decorative trim made up of slip stitches and chains. The pattern is worked by holding 2 strands of yarn together to give it more structure.
It’s a small basket but the pattern is easily adjustable – adding more increase rounds will give you a wider basket while adding more single crochet rounds will give you extra height.
It’s a great basic basket pattern when made without the face and would look amazing in all the colours.
I used 4 Seasons Spot Saver USA Style for my basket which you can get at Spotlight if you’re from Australia or New Zealand, otherwise any worsted weight yarn should work.
Since we’re using 2 strands held together, you can use 2 separate skeins of yarn or you can do what I did and use a single skein but pull yarn from both the inside and the outside.
I’ve included how much yarn you need in the materials list. However, you may need more or less depending on the yarn you use and your own personal tension.
Easter Basket Crochet Pattern
- Worsted weight yarn in yellow (approximately 90g), pink and orange (I used 4 Seasons Spot Saver USA Style in yellow and Paintbox Yarns Simply Aran in Bubblegum Pink and Blood Orange)
- 4 ply yarn in black or black embroidery floss
- Black embroidery floss
- 5mm crochet hook
- 3.5mm crochet hook
- Stitch marker, yarn needle, scissors
- ch – chain
- sc – single crochet
- inc – increase
- BLO – back loop only
- sl st – slip stitch
- st/s – stitch/es
- […] – repeat the instructions in brackets
- (…) – indicates stitch count at end of round
- The pattern is written using US terminology and measures approximately 4.25″ (11cm) tall when using the materials listed.
- The basket is worked in a continuous spiral starting with a magic ring unless otherwise specified. Mark the first stitch of each round with a removable stitch marker.
- Gauge is not important in this pattern. Your basket may turn out bigger or smaller depending on the yarn used and your own personal tension. Use the measurement below as a guide and adjust hook size as necessary.
- Gauge = 4.25″ after R7
LET’S GET STARTED!
Basket (5mm hook, yellow, 2 strands held together)
R1: 8 sc in magic ring (8)
R2: [Inc] x8 (16)
R3: [Sc, inc] x8 (24)
R4: Sc, inc, [2 sc, inc] x7, sc (32)
R5: [3 sc, inc] x8 (40)
R6: 2 sc, inc, [4 sc, inc] x7, 2 sc (48)
R7: [5 sc, inc] x8 (56)
R8: [BLO sc] x56 (56)
R9-22: [Sc] x56 (56) 14 rounds
R23: [Sl st, ch 1] x56
Sl st into the same st as starting sl st. Fasten off and weave in ends.
Cheeks (3.5mm hook, make 2, pink)
R1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)
Fasten off invisibly leaving a long tail for sewing.
- Using orange yarn, sew the beak between R15 and R16. Try and layer your sts so that they sit next to each other and sew over it as many times as you like until you get your desired look (I stitched over mine about 8-10 times).
- Using black 4 ply yarn or black embroidery floss, embroider the eyes over R17 approximately 1 st away from the beak on either side. You can embroider them however you like but I chose to do a simple triangle shape with a couple of eyelashes. I always find it helpful to mark out the eyes with pins first.
- Sew the cheeks just below the outer corner of each eye over R15 and R16.
- Using 2 strands of embroidery floss, add the finishing touch to the beak by stitching a line across the centre.
not ready to make this yet?
Pin this post for later
I love seeing your creations! Feel free to send me a photo or tag me on Instagram @stitchbyfay and use the hashtag #stitchbyfaypatterns.
This pattern is for personal use only and may not be copied, reproduced, altered, published or distributed in any way. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You can sell finished products made from this pattern in small quantities. Do NOT use our photos as your sale photos.